Israel attacks town in Syria
Digest more
An Israeli military operation on a Syrian village Friday morning turned into the deadliest attack by a foreign nation on Syria since the ouster of former dictator Bashar al-Assad last year.
The IDF failed in its primary mission on October 7th — to protect the civilians of the State of Israel,” Israeli military chief of staff Eyal Zamir said, referring to the Israel Defense Forces.
Smoke could be seen in the busy Haret Hreik neighborhood, with one video that circulated on social media showing dozens of people crowded around the area of the strike.
Mahmoud Qasim Abdallah, 26, and Youssef Ali Youssef Essa'sa, 37, were shot by Israeli forces in Jenin, the Palestinian General Authority for Civil Affairs said. Israeli forces shot at two suspects during an ongoing operation in Jenin, the IDF said in a statement.
The strike comes days before Pope Leo XIV is scheduled to visit the country and as Israeli airstrikes over southern Lebanon have intensified in recent weeks.
Gaza's Health Ministry says the Palestinian death toll has surpassed 70,000 since the Israel-Hamas war began. Two children were killed in Gaza in an Israeli attack, officials said.